Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a passed relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier such as a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: donate your used hearing aids versus getting rid of.
There are lots of people suffering from loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the total populace, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- 91% of adults suffering from hearing loss are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is very worrisome. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. As a matter of fact, new research comes out all the time showing how important hearing is to your general health. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very compelling fact. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your pre-owned hearing aid can have an enormous impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could affect their ability to get into college and make a livable wage when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can just give us a call.